Boston man poured acid on his own face in mock attack to hide his crime


A man who stole money from his workplace tried to cover his tracks by staging a robbery involving an “acid” attack.

Steve Beeson, 54, was seen in CCTV footage pouring what was described in court as “fake acid” on his own face as part of a robbery he organized in New Horizon Fun in the Boston Marketplace.

Beeson of Ingram Road, Boston, was rushed to hospital for screening before being arrested and charged with employee theft and loss of police time.

He pleaded guilty to both offenses when he appeared in Boston Magistrates’ Court.

Police lock up Boston Market Place neighborhood

The court heard that the panic alarm went off at the arcade at 8:30 a.m. on January 24.

When police arrived, Beeson, who was the company’s manager, told them the store was broken into and acid was thrown in his face when it opened.

Continuing, Dan Pietryka said: ‘Officers found Beeson on the ground complaining that his face was burning and alleging that £ 3,100 had been stolen.

“There was a bottle of bleach on the floor.”

Beeson alleged that there was a knock on the door and when he answered a man took money from him and threw something in his face.

But CCTV footage showed Beeson pouring fake acid on his own face.

The court heard that Beeson was unable to explain why he did what he did.

The incident involved nine police officers and four PCSOs as well as a team of paramedics who took him to hospital.

The court heard Beeson admit that he was “deeply in debt” and that he had received repayment threats.

He said he had several payday loans and was pressured to organize the theft to secure the funds to repay the money.

Police lock up Boston Market Place neighborhood
Police lock up Boston Market Place neighborhood

The money – which he had stolen a week earlier – had not been recovered.

Beris Brickles, mitigating, said his client was “seriously in debt”, in part because his partner had serious illness, which meant they had to travel to Leicester three times a week for treatment.

He said he took out loans over a period of time until he ended up with a payday lender.

He had borrowed £ 1,500 which had risen to £ 4,500 with interest and had been assaulted in the past when he could not make a payment.

He said last time he was even shown a photo of his wife entering Leicester hospital and his son leaving work – as a threat of what would happen if he didn’t pay.

He said Beeson had devised a plan to take the money from the float at work and pay loan sharks £ 3,100 and pay it back with a genuine loan to be taken out by a relative.

The court heard that loan hadn’t worked, so he invented theft.

Mr Brickles said Beeson was “very upset and ashamed of what he did” and said he could have taken a lot more, but only took what he needed to get rid of the loan sharks .

He added that he had now launched a repayment plan for his £ 12,000 in debt with the help of the Citizen’s Advice Bureau.

Beeson was given an eight-week suspended prison sentence for two years and ordered to pay back the £ 3,100.


About Author

Leave A Reply