New Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting Vehicles at Palm Springs International Airport

0

Palm Springs International Airport recently received two new vehicles specializing in air rescue and firefighting. Both replace two of the older vehicles purchased in 2003. The newer vehicles will remain at the airport and will always be ready to respond to aircraft alerts, fuel spills, hazardous situations and other emergencies that may arise. to the PSP.

In order for a commercial service airport to remain open, it must maintain a certain level of rescue and firefighting equipment and capability. Airport officials said the new trucks they acquired will allow the airport to meet FAA requirements for years to come.

The news trucks are called the Oshkosh Striker 1500 Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting (ARFF) vehicles. The total cost of the two was $ 1.7 million. Airport officials said 90% of the costs were covered by federal funds and the remaining 10% by funds from local airports. Their expected lifespan is 15 years.

Even though ARFF vehicles are primarily intended for the airport, they can occasionally assist each other with emergencies outside the airport, such as the fuel spill in Banning along the I-10 on the month. latest. In this situation, PSP was able to provide an ARFF vehicle to assist CalFire while meeting all FAA requirements to ensure the safety and operation of the airport. CalFire enlisted PSP’s help as a precaution against the fuel spill, as ARFF vehicles can quickly put out a fuel fire by spraying several inches of foam, blocking out all oxygen and preventing a possible wildfire. .

“These new ARFF vehicles provide ARFF airport personnel with the best possible equipment,” said Harry Barrett, Deputy Executive Director of Aviation. “The Palm Springs International Airport and the Palm Springs Fire Department continuously train and maintain emergency preparedness to provide the best protection, and we now have the latest technology and equipment for use. airport and our travelers. “

Coming to News Channel 3 at 5 and 6 p.m., you’ll hear firefighters from the Palm Springs Fire Department explain how the new trucks work and what sets them apart.


Source link

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply